Innovation Scholars Program 2023 - 2024
The Innovation Scholars Program offers a unique opportunity for multi-disciplinary teams of liberal arts students to explore the interface of science, healthcare and medicine, economics, business, and entrepreneurship. Students work as a team to analyze real innovations in real time. Led by MBA students and faculty mentors, teams of undergraduates from Minnesota private colleges and universities research and recommend next steps for inventions and new products in development. IS teams may work on projects originating from Mayo Clinic, from early-stage to mid-sized medical companies affiliated with Medical Alley, or new this coming year: projects from Medtronic and NASA.For additional information, please see www.mnprivatecolleges.org/members/mayo-innovation-scholars
- Junior (16 credits) or senior academic status
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher
- Academic Major is open to all majors, selection will be based on student strengths in relation to the designated project
- Acceptance of the terms of the Gustavus Honor Code
- Students who are on Gustavus Adolphus College Academic or Disciplinary probation are NOT eligible for the Innovation Scholars Program
Innovation Scholars Timeline:
Please mark your calendar with these important dates:
- Project list distributed to schools on Monday, August 21st
- Project rankings due Monday, August 28th (first come, first served!)
- Notification of assigned project/s on Friday, September 1st
- Schools select team members by Monday, October 9th
- Selected students sign NDAs prior to reviewing their project description.
- Participants sign Agreement & Release form and Federal W-9 form to facilitate stipends. International students’ stipends are dispersed directly to the college and processed through Student Accounts.
- Each team schedules team-building meetings in advance of Orientation to get to know one another and prepare for their orientation meeting with Project Manager/Inventor and/or Company Contact.
- Orientation sessions (in-person):
- Mayo Clinic Projects: Thursday, October 26th, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, at Mayo Clinic
- Medical Alley Projects, Medtronic and NASA Projects: Saturday, October 28th, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm at Augsburg University.
- Gustavus ISP Interns are expected to register for either an Interim Career Exploration or a Spring Semester Internship.
Gustavus ISP Interns will receive a $1500 stipend upon completion of the internship, and will be reimbursed for the cost of required travel to Rochester.
Submit the following documents through Handshake:
+ Cover Letter (for help creating a cover letter click here) addressed to:
c/o Career Development
Gustavus Adolphus College
800 West College Avenue
St. Peter, MN 56082
Applicants must address the following in their cover letters:
- Why you are interested in this opportunity
- What you hope to gain through this experience
- Previous experience you have in problem solving in a team setting
- What makes you a strong candidate
+ Completed and Signed Copy of the Certification of Eligibility Form
+ Name and contact information of ONE academic reference (Gustavus faculty - name, department, email, and phone number)
After all application materials are reviewed, selected students will be invited to interview.