Academic Instructor - STEP Summer Program
The Brooklyn Center Community Schools (BCCS) District is seeking applicants to join our Secondary School team as an Academic Instructor. Academic Instructor establishes and maintains a positive culture for learning and utilizes best practices in student engagement and instruction. Literacy instruction is developed and integrated within a student-interest club. Monitors and communicates student progress toward CLP goals. Work is performed under the supervision of the Youth Programs Coordinator and Instructional Lead.
BCCS is looking for applicants driven to uphold our Mission: To become a justice-center school community who fuels the unique genius of each student.
BCCS Core Values – Written on a foundation of student voice, our district core values communicate the culture and character of Brooklyn Center Community Schools.
- We stand front and center
- We demonstrate passion, pride, and perseverance
- We acknowledge and disrupt oppressive systems
- Our diversity fuels learning
- We fiercely lead in justice-centered educated
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Works collaboratively with Youth Programs staff. Develops positive rapport with students, parents & staff.
- Supports programming and processes to meet the academic, social, and emotional growth of middle school youth in grades 6-12.
- Ensures a safe, supportive, culturally responsive, equitable, and welcoming learning environment.
- Communicates regularly with families regarding the engagement and growth of their student(s).
- Designs and implements an integrated curriculum focused on accelerating math and literacy skills through a high-interest enrichment club format.
- Completes and submits weekly lesson plans to the Youth Programs Coordinator and Instructional Lead.
- Adapts teaching materials and methods to develop relevant assignments that guide and challenge students.
- Assesses, identifies, and evaluates needs of students; provides instruction in individual or group sessions; establishes and maintains standards of behavior.
- Other duties as assigned
Pay and Benefits: $27.00
Duty Days: Monday-Thursday June 14th- July 29, 2021, 9:00 am- 1:30 pm
Knowledge, Skills and, Abilities Preferred:
- Valid MN teaching license preferred. Aspiring teachers encouraged to apply.
- Thorough knowledge of school and district rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Knowledge of the Community Schools model.
- Thorough knowledge of Youth Program Quality Assessment or equivalent.
- Knowledge and understanding of effective community partnerships and community and civic engagement experience.
- General knowledge of grant and project reporting, including data collection and evaluation.
- Ability to relate and communicate effectively with people of different cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Ability to understand and work with various community agencies and their delivery systems, including schools, county, state, and social service agencies.
- Possess a high level of interpersonal skills; Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple tasks with efficiency.
- Ability to structure and manage responsibilities independently with minimal direct supervision.
Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions, exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment and exposure to bodily fluids; may be required to wear a mask and other personal protective equipment in a pandemic outbreak; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g., business office, light traffic).
Please select this link to learn more about Brooklyn Center Community Schools:
Please select this link to apply online:
BROOKLYN CENTER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Brooklyn Center Community Schools is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable Equal Opportunity laws, directives, and regulations of Federal, State, and Local governing bodies or agencies. Brooklyn Center Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, gender identity and expression, disability, age, or status.