Special Assistant, Office of the CEO
AmeriCorps, the federal agency for national service and volunteerism, brings people together to tackle the country’s most pressing challenges. AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers serve with organizations dedicated to the improvement of communities. AmeriCorps helps make service to others a cornerstone of our national culture. Learn more at AmeriCorps.gov.
As AmeriCorps expands to support the American Rescue Plan, we are looking for a Special Assistant to support front office (CEO, Chief of Staff, Deputy Chief of Staff, Board of Directors) work including project management, interagency coordination, outreach to external stakeholders, research and writing, and administrative support. The Special Assistants will support a variety of initiatives and strategic priorities including climate change, COVID-19 response, Native American affairs, Veterans and Military Families, and partnerships. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced team in the office of the CEO at a critical time for the agency and the larger national service enterprise. The ideal candidate will excel at managing multiple projects with competing deadlines with a strong attention to detail. Experience with national service is not required, but a passion for volunteerism and service is essential.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and brief writing sample to Morgan Levey at email@example.com by Monday, May 17, 2021. Please include "Special Assistant" in the email subject line and attach all documents as PDFs.
Location: Washington DC (currently remote)
Salary: $60,000 - $80,000 (including locality pay)
Appointment Type: This is a four-month, temporary position. The position will be posted as a 2.5-year term position to USA Jobs this summer with a fall start date. Temporary candidates will be eligible to apply for the term position.
Primary Job Tasks and Responsibilities
Special Assistants will support AmeriCorps’ appointed Senior Advisors who are focused on implementation of the Biden Administration priorities outlined below. They will work in concert with the Office of the CEO Immediate team to support the partnerships and planning required to execute AmeriCorps’ strategic goals.
Strategic Priorities: Special Assistant will support multiple strategic priorities, including one or more of the following. This list is not exhaustive and priorities may shift and change over time.
· Climate Change: Support AmeriCorps’ climate change priority and agency working group through research, writing, interagency outreach, and administrative support.
· Native American Affairs: Support outreach to Tribes and Tribal entities with the goal of increasing Tribal grantees and Native American AmeriCorps members. Coordinate soliciting and synthesizing input from Tribes. Support intra-agency working group and assessing, updating, and executing AmeriCorps’ agency action plan.
· COVID-19: Work with Senior Advisor to gather and package stories and data, with support from relevant departments, to share with a variety of internal and external audiences.
· Veterans and Military Families: Support AmeriCorps’ veteran and military families work through research, outreach, writing, interagency coordination, and administrative support.
Interagency coordination: Special Assistants will support AmeriCorps’ Senior Advisors with interagency coordination.
· Support outreach to other federal agencies, help coordinate meetings and follow-up to strengthen relationships and partnerships.
· Support interagency councils, helping track and report on relevant information to stakeholder across the agency.
· Conduct research on other federal agency programs, funding sources, and authorities to assist Senior Advisors in developing potential collaboration or partnership efforts.
· Support the development of presentation and briefing materials, working collaboratively with departments across AmeriCorps to gather the relevant content and data. Research and write proposals on interagency collaboration.
· Map key stakeholders in Biden administration and agency priority areas, helping to create a prioritized set of stakeholders.
· Support the development and execution of an outreach strategy to external organizations in critical issue areas.
· Coordinate internal stakeholders to ensure the right departments are aware of and involved in conversations, coordinate meeting agendas, materials, follow-up, and action items.
· Assist the CEO Office with special projects related to administration priorities, including diversity, equity, and inclusion, and identifying opportunities to build employee morale.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required. Knowledge of SharePoint, OneNote, and virtual meeting platforms such as Zoom and Microsoft Teams desired but not required. Strong applicant has demonstrated ability to quickly grasp new technologies.
- Strong writing and editing skills and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to translate technical information into plain language, as well as catch typos, formatting, and grammar errors quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Project management experience required, including an ability to connect the pieces behind multiple projects and see how they tie together and ability to identify steps needed to accomplish a broader goal.
· Public speaking skills and meeting coordination experience desired.
· This is a very collaborative position; experience managing up and laterally is required.
Project Management - Knowledge of the principles, methods, or tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating, and managing projects and resources, including monitoring and inspecting deliverables and moving deadlines.
Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
Writing – Uses correct English grammar, punctuation, and spelling to communicate thoughts, ideas, information, and messages in writing.
Editing – Conducts thorough review of written and visual media for content clarity, correct grammar and punctuation, and completion.
Teamwork – Encourages and facilitates cooperation, pride, trust, and group identity; fosters commitment and team spirit; works with others to achieve goals.
Attention to Detail – Performs work with a conscientious eye for detail and ensures products are thoroughly thought out and reviewed.
Customer Service – Works with clients and customers to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
Computer Skills - Uses computers, software applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), databases, and automated systems to accomplish work.
Integrity/Honesty – Contributes to maintaining the integrity of the organization; displays high standards of ethical conduct and understands the impact of violating these standards on the agency, self, and commitment towards completing assignments in a timely manner.
Self-Management – Sets well-defined and realistic personal goals; displays a high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing assignment in a timely manner; works with minimal supervision; is motivated to achieve; demonstrates responsible behavior.
Technical Competence – Uses knowledge that is acquired through formal training or extensive on-the-job experience to perform one’s job; works with, understands, and evaluates technical information related to the job; uses various digital media platforms to complete assignments.