*This job is eligible for relocation assistance to aid with the costs associated with moving to the Colorado Springs area.
Colorado Springs Utilities’ Laboratory Services is seeking an Environmental Scientist to join the Microbiology and General Chemistry Group in performing analyses on samples ranging from source water, drinking water, wastewater, power plant cooling tower water, groundwater, and soil. While working in one of our progressive laboratories, you will analyze environmental samples and interpret data for the water and wastewater treatment plants in compliance with water regulations.
Why should you apply to this role?
You will have the opportunity to work with a dynamic, innovative, and skilled group of scientists whose priorities include evaluating, testing, and producing the cleanest drinking water in the region, all while keeping environmental protection a top priority. Your science education and experience coupled with your passion for serving your community will be valued and leveraged in this role.
Your job responsibilities include...
- Preparing, testing, and analyzing drinking and wastewater samples in compliance with applicable standards and regulations (e.g., ASTM, EPA, SM)
- Conducting chemical or microbiological analyses evaluating the composition, structure, and properties of chemical substances, or complex bacteriological and protozoan biological testing and analysis of raw and finished water
- Operating sophisticated analytical instrumentation, including ICP-OES, IC-MSMS, and ICP-MS
- Preparing monthly quality control reports and other relevant documentation
- Bringing up new methods and instrumentation from selection to implementation
Who you are...
You are likely someone who comes with a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or a closely related field, along with progressively responsible environmental laboratory experience. Additionally, you are someone who enjoys applying your knowledge of EPA methods (e.g., 200.7, 200.8, 557) to ensure Colorado Springs Utilities remains compliant with water and wastewater quality standards. In addition to the technical aspects of this job, you are someone who enjoys building meaningful working relationships with the team, analyzing and evaluating data and information, takes pride in their work, and excels at communicating (written and verbal).
What a career at Colorado Springs Utilities can offer you:
- The ability to stay ahead of the business curve with our established priority to continually update and incorporate state-of-the-art technology
- The opportunity to work for a pioneer in providing four utility services in one enterprise with a 100-year reputation for integrity
- A work culture dedicated to innovation, collaboration, and synergy
- The stability vital for growth-oriented careers
Colorado Springs Utilities offers a comprehensive benefits program to help you and your family protect your health and financial security.
- Voluntary Wellness Program
- Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Personal leave
- Sick Leave
- Jury Duty
- Vacation Buy
- Colorado PERA Pension
- Retirement Saving Programs
- PERA 401(k)
- PERA Roth 401(k)
- ICMA Roth IRA
- ICMA 457
- ICMA 457 Roth
- Educational Assistance
- Additional Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Long-Term Care Insurance