Transportation Engineer 2 (In-Training)
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT Southwest Region is seeking multiple talented and innovative engineers to join their dynamic teams in Vancouver, Kelso, and Chehalis, WA. We are looking for entry-level or mid-level engineers who want to develop their careers in transportation by designing and constructing WSDOT projects. As a Transportation Engineer, you will have a high impact on WSDOT's mission to provide and support safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options. Our top candidates will be detail-oriented, possess outstanding technical skills, and have the ability to work independently, as well as lead and motivate others.
What to Expect
We are looking to fill positions within the Kelso Engineering Office, Chehalis Engineering Office, Clark County Engineering Office, and the Columbia Gorge Engineering Office.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- May serve as a lead designer in charge of a moderately sized project or a significant portion of a larger project.
- Prepare and/or review design reports, hydraulics reports, access reports, environmental documents, design estimates, right of way plans, contract plans, specifications, estimates and special provisions.
- Direct CADD operators or draft CAD plans on projects that could include, but are not limited to, new interchanges, new alignments, roundabouts, paving, chip seal, rock fall mitigation, erosion control, drainage, and other designs.
- Coordinate and review projects with cities, counties, and other agencies.
- Represent the agency through community outreach events to communicate project information.
- Utilize computers and design software for horizontal and vertical alignment, earthwork, drainage analysis, quantities, cost estimates, technical written text and computer assisted design/drafting.
- May serve as a lead inspector in charge of specialized features such as major structures, paving operations, illumination systems, electrical systems, signal systems or enclosed drainage systems.
- May perform or direct material tests for acceptance in the field or lab trailer.
- Complete accurate daily project documentation to include IDR's, Field Notes, Force Account Sheets, TCS Reports, and Weekly Working Days statements.
- Assist Office Engineering Staff with a variety of skilled engineering tasks.
Please note this position has been approved for in-training. Candidates will be considered as a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Engineer 2, depending on qualifications.
Required qualifications at the Transportation Engineer 1 level:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering or closely-related field from an accredited university.
- An Engineer-In-Training Certification (EIT) or must obtain within the duration of the in-training program.
Required qualifications at the Transportation Engineer 2 level require one of the following:
- Minimum one year experience as a Transportation Engineer 1 AND an Engineer-In-Training Certification (EIT).
- A Master’s of Science degree with major study in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, or closely-related field from an accredited university AND an Engineer-In-Training Certification (EIT).
Requirements at both levels also include:
- The ability to read, interpret, understand, review, and produce contract plans, specifications, and estimates.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficient use of computer, including knowledge of engineering software and applications.
- The ability to work varied work shifts including nights, weekends and/or out of town.
- The ability to traverse uneven terrain in all weather conditions.
- The ability to transport, manipulate, and move into position materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Valid driver's license.
- A Western Alliance for Quality Transportation Construction (WAQTC) certification or the ability to achieve within 12 months of hire.
- General Inspector Certification or the ability to obtain within six months of hire.
- Flagging Card or the ability to obtain within the first six months of hire.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- A solid understanding and working knowledge of transportation engineering principles.
- Demonstrated skills to make correct independent decisions in complex or emergency situations.
- Demonstrated increased proficiency in task prioritization and duties.
- Demonstrated competency in all aspects of project delivery; scoping, design, construction inspection, and construction administration.
- We are currently seeking to fill five (5) Transportation Engineer 2 positions. These positions have been approved for in-training. The hiring manager is looking to hire at the Transportation Engineer 2 level, however the in-training plan will allow candidates to be considered as a Transportation Engineer 1, if not qualified at the higher level.
- Positions will be located in either Vancouver, Chehalis, and Kelso, WA.
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Our permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers eligible employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, as well as their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3028053/transportation-engineer-2-in-training-vancouver-kelso-chehalis
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-SWR-41254m in the subject line.