At the Children’s Museum of Southern Minnesota, we believe our team is part of something extraordinary. Our Museum is community-built and community-sustained, with a mission to ignite the natural curiosity of every child through the power of play in a dynamic, awe-inspiring environment. As a Front Desk worker you will have the opportunity to perform meaningful work and find enjoyment in the energy this lively environment inspires.
Join our team! As our Front Desk worker, you will have responsibility for working in a fast paced environment and overseeing the Museum’s front desk, café and gift shop while on duty. You will report to the Lead Front Desk. This job is a non-exempt, part time position. Weekday (Tuesday-Friday) and weekend availability are expected, as well as availability for additional hours for special events and programs. This position is not eligible for benefits or paid time off. Key attributes include exceptional customer service, commitment to continued improvement and efficiency of museum practices, attention to detail, self‐motivation and flexibility, and the ability to maintain a positive attitude while dealing with the unexpected. Further, as the Museum is a growing, inclusive organization, any candidate should be open to performing a variety of tasks and look forward to working with friendly and collaborative people.
Take the next step! Please complete an employment application on our website. Questions can be directed to Heather Ungerer, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com. Review of applicants will begin immediately.
Primary Duties include, but are not limited to:
· Greet visitors and answer questions at the Museum’s front desk.
· Provide excellent and enthusiastic customer service.
· Perform basic data entry and reporting, as requested.
· Admission, membership, gift shop and café sales.
· Responsibility for the cash register/Point of Sale (POS) balance.
· Work extensively with Altru software.
· Verify cash drawer ties out with deposit amount and prepare deposit reports.
· Completes tasks related to new or renewing Museum memberships as requested.
· Maintains clean and sanitary front entry, front desk, café and restrooms during open hours, restocking supplies and taking out garbage as needed.
· Reports needs for café, gift shop and Museum forms inventory in a timely manner.
· Ensures the aesthetic display of café and gift shop items.
· Be available on weekends, evenings and for special events and programs.
· Assist in effective crisis management/emergency evacuation plan as part of the team.
· On occasion, may fill in on the gallery floor as a playworker.
· Represent the Museum with the highest level of professionalism.
· Perform physical and mental demands in the work environment required for this position.
· Communicate and interact effectively and respectfully with visitors, co-workers, supervisors and individuals from other organizations.
- Required to have availability on weekends. Additional weekday availability is preferred.
- Enthusiasm and support for the Museum
- Experience working with children and families is preferred.
- Have the ability to work under stress, handling situations as they arise and proactively problem solving.
- Basic computer skills are a must. Experience working with database or data entry is preferred.
· Commitment to striving to find efficiency and ongoing improvement of all museum practices.
· Job requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
· Job requires the ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
· Job requires a high degree of interaction and engagement with others.
About Children’s Museum of Southern Minnesota
The vision for the Children’s Museum of Southern Minnesota is to be a catalyst for building a stronger, more vibrant community around play so that all children in our region share in a bright future of opportunity and well-being. Located in Mankato, Minnesota, the Museum welcomes nearly 100,000 visitors and maintains over 2,100 memberships annually, and continues to be a resource for the region, providing the opportunity to experience the joy of learning through the power of play to all children and families.
The Children’s Museum of Southern Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer.