Sheriff's Detention Deputy
OPENING DATE: 01/14/21
CLOSING DATE: 01/28/21 11:59 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: Sheriff's Office
Join the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office as a Detention Deputy! As a Detention Deputy, you will utilize your interpersonal communication skills while ensuring order and control of detainees in a pretrial detention facility.
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is dedicated to serving the community with transparency, responsiveness, and compassion.
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is seeking experienced applicants currently employed as a Detention Deputy or Correctional Officer for this posting.
*Starting pay is based on experience.
Location and hours:
This position is located at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility (PSF) located at 401 South 4th Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415 in downtown Minneapolis.
This position requires working a flexible schedule including days, evenings, overnights, on-call, weekends, and holidays.
The anticipated start date is 3/29/21.
About this position type:
This is a full-time, benefit earning position. Candidates who are offered a Detention Deputy position will be required to successfully pass a two month training academy prior to being independently assigned in the jail. The probation period for this position is one year.
In this position, you will:
- Fingerprint, secure, transport, and release inmates.
- Conduct property and physical searches.
- Supervise custody of inmates and visitation.
- Staff security control rooms.
- Conduct regular security checks of the facility and housing units.
- Ensure inmate pretrial rights, arrange court appearances, and verify disposition of inmates returned from court.
- Respond to emergency situations and perform first aid when necessary.
Need to have:
- You must have one of the following:
- Two or more years of experience in corrections, law enforcement, public safety, and/or security.
- Two or more years of other approved work experience including supervisory, teacher/trainer, and/or lead worker roles or customer service in guest/customer facing positions in hospitality, retail, travel, food and beverage, or sales.
- Two or more years of military duty.
- Two or more years of college or technical college coursework (a minimum of 60 semester/ 90 quarter credits).
- Pass a comprehensive medical examination prior to appointment to ascertain candidate's ability to perform essential job functions. The general medical requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Uncorrected vision of at least 20/100 in each eye.
- Corrected vision of at least 20/40 in each eye.
- Meeting normal hearing standards.
- Must not have cardiovascular problems, including hypertension.
- Must not have any respiratory impairment.
Nice to have:
- Currently employed as detention deputy or correctional officer.
- Basic knowledge of computers/computer programs (e.g. Microsoft Office and Outlook or another similar email system).
- Ability to have frequent direct inmate contact with the possibility of a physical use of force confrontation.
About the department:
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office serves the county's 1.2 million residents. State law mandates most of the sheriff's office duties, including managing the county jail, providing security to the district court, and patrolling the waterways in the county.
The Sheriff's Office also runs specialized initiatives like Criminal Information Sharing and Analysis (CISA), Violent Offender Task Force (VOTF), Crime Scene Investigation, Criminal Investigation, Community Outreach and Employee Wellness. The mission of the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is: Serving and protecting all in our community by furthering equal justice, safety and wellness.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees .
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting will be used to fill current and future full-time, benefit-earning Detention Deputy vacancies. These positions are not licensed peace officer positions.
This position is internally classified as a Sheriff's Detention Deputy.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
Applicants must have no felony convictions and must successfully complete a drug test, extensive background investigation, and a pre-employment physical and psychological assessment prior to employment. Invitations to interview will be based on an assessment of education and experience.