Internal Auditor, Principal
OPENING DATE: 01/14/21
CLOSING DATE: 01/28/21 11:59 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: Audit, Compliance, and Investigation Services
The Principal Assurance and Consulting Auditor is responsible for performing assurance and consulting audit work throughout Hennepin County. Our principal auditors are expected to lead internal audit engagements. Therefore, this position requires extensive audit experience, critical thinking, and data analysis skills, as well as the technical knowledge and interpersonal skills necessary to produce assurance and consulting audit work that conforms to Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) professional standards. In coordination with our customers and stakeholders, you will lead internal audit engagements, structure assignments for other staff, and communicate results verbally and in written audit reports. This position will report to the Assurance and Consulting Manager.
Location and hours:
This position is located at 701 4th Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55415. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with options for flexibility. Currently, this position is working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
About the position type:
This is a full-time, benefit earning position.
In this position, you will:
- Conduct assurance and consulting engagements per Internal Audit Division standards including:
- Conduct and/or develop new risk assessments at the engagement, business unit, and enterprise level.
- Follow established audit programs or develop new audit programs for the assigned project.
- Conduct audit testing procedures per the audit program and assist others with test-related tasks.
- Prepare and document audit work papers according to specifications, clearly noting support for audit findings.
- Write audit reports, including findings and recommendations.
- Be effective in evaluating overall audit results, weighing the relevancy, accuracy, and perspective of conclusions against accumulated audit evidence.
- Participate in development of the annual audit plan.
- Participate in training and development opportunities, including completion and maintenance of related professional certifications.
- Provide consulting services for customers as a trusted advisor, including evaluation of departmental or countywide policies, standards, and procedures.
- Handle multiple assignments simultaneously, prioritizing effectively to promote team productivity and ensure quality work is completed timely.
Need to have:
- One of the following:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in business administration, finance, accounting, computer science, public administration, or a related field to the specific work to be performed and five years or more of related audit experience.
- Nine years or more of position related audit experience.
Nice to have:
- Three or more years of experience working in the public sector (city, county, state, college/university, non-profit, etc.).
- CIA, CISA, CPA and/or PMP certification (or other related professional certification) or currently in pursuit of certification.
- Leading complex assurance and/or consulting audits.
- Working with Archer audit management tools and Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Teams)
- With risk assessment and data analytics.
- Auditing internal controls.
- An advanced understanding of organizational governance, the three lines of defense model, and internal audit’s role.
- Effective interpersonal skills with diverse stakeholder groups, verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to:
- Directly supervise audit engagements.
- Think critically, creatively, and apply analytical skills to develop innovative solutions.
- Work in ambiguous and/or stressful situations.
- Be flexible and to change priorities quickly.
- Multitask projects and responsibilities well.
- Understand and meet customer needs.
About Internal Audit:
The Internal Audit Division is an independent assurance and consulting activity established within Hennepin County to examine and evaluate its activities. This is done as a service to management, the Audit Committee, and the Board of Commissioners. Internal auditing is a managerial control that functions by measuring and evaluating the effectiveness of other controls.
About the department:
The mission of Audit, Compliance, and Investigation Services is to support Hennepin County’s commitment to ethics, compliance, and risk mitigation by providing oversight, objective assurance, and independent investigation services.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies.
This position is internally classified as an Internal Auditor, Principal.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
Final candidates may be required to complete a background check.