GLITC SNAP-ED Nutrition Educator
POSITION: GLITC SNAP-ED Nutrition Educator
LOCATION: Red Cliff Food Distribution
WAGE: $13.00-$16.00/hour, 40 hours/week for the remainder of FY2021, through September 30, 2021. The hours per week will be reduced to 32 hours/week effective FY22 on 10/01/2021 pending funding limits.
SUPERVISOR(S): Food Distribution Director
THIS IS A REGULAR FULL-TIME NON-EXEMPT POSITION THRU 9/30/2021, BECOMING A REGULAR PART-TIME NON-EXEMPT POSITION ON 10/01/2021.
JOB SUMMARY: Provide education materials to community members that will help increase their knowledge in the prevention of Diabetes, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, and Obesity using Food Share. The Nutrition Educator will teach and help people learn more about home food safety. Teaching healthy and new ways to cook with Food Share benefits and other nutritional foods.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Teach topics on nutrition to SNAP Food Share eligible clients.
2. Develop and conduct demonstrations on cooking and food safety using a variety of platforms.
3. Maintain and submit accurate monthly records on demonstrations conducted.
4. Maintain filing system.
5. Research health issues on Internet.
6. Electronic reporting to GLITC via computer, using the PEARS program.
7. Coordinate with the UW-Extension on cooking demonstrations.
8. Collaborate with Tribal Farm staff to create raised garden beds throughout sub-divisions of Red Cliff Housing. Work to create collaboration with tenants so they feel a sense of ownership of garden bed program.
9. Attend training as needed or directed.
10. The above duties and responsibilities are not an all-inclusive list but rather a general representation of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position. The duties and responsibilities will be subject to change based on organizational needs and/or deemed necessary by the supervisor.
SUPERVISORY AUTHORITY: None
KNOWLEDGE: Basic knowledge of computers, typing and clerical skills. Knowledge of and sensitivity for Ojibwe culture and traditions.
1. Minimum of high school diploma, HSED or GED required.
2. Must have good oral and written communication skills.
3. Must have the ability to facilitate individual and/or group meetings and demonstrations using various platforms of communication.
4. Must have knowledge of computers as well as office skills such as typing and filing.
5. Must maintain confidentiality.
6. This position must possess and maintain a current, valid Driver License. Must be eligible to be placed on the tribe’s vehicle insurance OR if not eligible must have access to a vehicle with appropriate vehicle insurance coverage, required.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Red Cliff Tribal Officials, GLITC, Site Directors and Community Members, Summer Food Staff.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds. There will be some bending, lifting and reaching in overhead storage. Some work outside in the Community Garden setting, but mostly sedentary work.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Food Distribution Building, Elderly Building, Mishomis Wellness Center, Red Cliff Community Health Center, Legendary Waters Resort and Casino, Summer Food Sites, Community Nutrition Home visits, Boys and Girls Club, Community Garden locations, other locations as assigned.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: The ability to travel and attend meetings and trainings; overnight and out of town, both locally and nationally. GLITC training, Food Safety Training, UW-Extension’s National Conference.
BEHAVIOR AND ATTITUDE: The vision, goals and objectives of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa requires that the employee performs in both a professional and personable manner. The manner in which the employee relates to fellow employees, customers and visitors is considered parallel in importance to technical knowledge and ability. Respect and consideration given to the dignity of each customer, visitor and fellow employee is a requisite of successful job performance. Any behavior or attitude that tarnishes the name or image of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa will be subject to immediate disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Indian preference will be applied in the case of equally qualified applicants, but all qualified applicants will be considered.
This job description is subject to change at employer’s discretion, after consultation with the employee.
APPLICATION SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS: The following items are required for this position:
1. Completed Tribal Application, to include work history and references; available on the Tribal website.
2. Tribal Background Investigation Disclosure; available on the Tribal website.
3. Consent to Release Liability and Reference Information Form; available on the Tribal website.
4. Cover letter and resume.
5. Post-secondary transcripts or certifications; if applicable.
POSTING DATE: January 14, 2021
DEADLINE: January 28, 2021 @ 4:00 p.m.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
Human Resources Department
88455 Pike Road
Bayfield, WI 54814
Ashley Poch, Human Resources Director ext. 4268 or
Diane Cooley, Human Resources Coordinator ext. 4267
The Red Cliff Tribal Council has a Drug Free Work Policy and adheres to the intent of the Drug Free Workplace Act. All new hires are subject to a drug test prior to starting.
All applicants for employment with the Red Cliff Tribe will be subject to the background investigation and other requirements of RCCL Chapter 43, and are under a continuing obligation to supplement this application for employment with information concerning any convictions that occur after commencement of employment with the Tribe.
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE Full-time benefits through 9/30/2021 then will be reduced to part time benefits
FULL TIME EMPLOYEE BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
1. A Health Insurance Plan which is through the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB). FEHB is offered for both single and family coverage. Employees considered to be full time status will be required to pay 12% of the premium for the plan selected.
2. The Dental package is through Delta Dental. This benefit is offered at no cost to the employees with single or family medical coverage.
3. Short Term Disability is offered to all employees at no cost and pays 60 % of weekly pay for a maximum of 90 days if you get sick or injured off the job.
4. Life insurance of $15,000 is included at no cost to all employees. Spouses are covered at $7,500.00 and children are prorated. Employees can purchase additional life insurance from the plan provider at their own cost.
5. Profit Sharing Plan with a 401(k) component is offered to employees after one year of work, with a minimum of 1000 hours. The Tribe puts 3% of employee’s wages into the Profit Sharing Plan.
6. The Tribe also offers General Leave to Full time employees. Employees will accrue 16 hours of General Leave per month and can accumulate up to 192 hours per year. After 5 years of employment, General Leave goes up to 20 hours per month with a maximum of 240 hours.
7. The Tribe observes a total of 11 paid holidays.
PART-TIME EMPLOYEE BENEFIT PACKAGE Beginning 10/1/2021
1. A Health Insurance Plan which is offered through the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB). FEHB is offered for both single and family coverage. Part-time employees will be on a prorated pay status depending on hours worked.
2. Profit Sharing Plan with a 401(k) component is offered to employees after one year of work, with a minimum of 1000 hours. The Tribe puts 3% of employee’s wages into the Profit Sharing Plan.
3. The Tribe offers General Leave to part-time employees as stated below:
Regular Part-time 30-37 hours/week Vacation/GL – 12 hours/month
Regular part-time 20-29 hours/week Illness/GL – 8 hours/month
4. The Tribe observes a total of 11 paid holidays.