Park Superintendent II
Under the direction of the Park Superintendent, this position acts as an Assistant Superintendent for Lake McConaughy and Lake Ogallala State Recreation Areas. Leads daily park operations including recreational facility, grounds, and fleet maintenance. Trains and supervises staff, including in areas such as park operations, facility maintenance, grounds-keeping, visitor services, campground/day use area management, interpretive programming, and volunteer program management. This position serves to assist with implementing the vision for these areas outlined in the Park's Management Plan to create an identity that elevates Lake McConaughy State Recreation Area as a unique and premier unit in the state system, and will play a pivotal role in advancing efforts to become more inclusive, relevant, and diverse in outdoor recreation offerings.
Lake McConaughy State Recreation Area at 1475 Highway 61N in Ogallala, Nebraska
Work schedule varies
Examples of Work
• Management of Lake McConaughy and Lake Ogallala State Recreation Areas: Providing leadership, direction, management, and supervision of assigned park operations.
• Project and Operational Planning: Provide strong leadership in prioritizing the planning, implementation, and evaluation of capital and maintenance projects and programs.
• Asset Management: Assist with the administration of the park maintenance program including preventative care, development and rehabilitation for all park structures, boating access points, roads, campgrounds and landscapes.
• Fiscal Management, Procedures and Planning: Assist with planning and implementation of all aspects of fiscal management, state policy, and strategic planning in the park areas.
• Personnel Management: Direct, lead, support, supervise and appraise activities and programs of assigned park staff by creating a culture of respect and inclusion.
• Visitor and Interpretive Services Management: Assist with the administration of the Park Visitor Services Program including the Lake McConaughy Visitor and Water Interpretive Center, Naturalist Program, campground and special facility reservation system, volunteer programs and multiple park entrance gatehouses.
• Other Duties as Required
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor's degree in Park Management or related area plus two years related experience including one year in a supervisory capacity. Related coursework/training and/or experience in park /recreation management, or related work field may substitute for the Bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis.
OTHER: Driver's license is required, possibly including a commercial driver's license (CDL). State of Nebraska Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator's License, S130/S190 Wildland Fire Training and State of Nebraska Class V Water Operator's Permit required within one year of hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate will have the following: A demonstrated record of successful, effective, and efficient management; considerable knowledge of natural and cultural resource issues, techniques, principles and practices; knowledge of park operations, administration and financial management. Ability to plan, manage, analyze and evaluate park programs; maintain recreational facilities and park grounds; communicate clearly and effectively; plan, direct and evaluate the work of staff; establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public; perform a variety of physical tasks in all weather conditions.