OPENING DATE: 10/09/20
CLOSING DATE: 10/19/20 5:00 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Varies, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: Human Services and Public Health
The Initial Contact & Assessment Division is seeking two Community Liaisons to join the Joint Community Police Partnership (JCPP) team. The division works to proactively identify the needs of individuals and families within the community and match those needs with HSPH resources.
Location and hours:
One position will be located at the Brooklyn Center Police Department – 6645 Humboldt Ave N Brooklyn Center, MN. The other position will be located at the Brooklyn Park Police Department – 5400 85th Ave N Brooklyn Park, MN. Both positions will work closely with the respective police departments to conduct outreach activities with the residents of Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park. These positions will work a flexible schedule including regular night and weekend hours.
About the position type:
These are full-time, benefit earning positions.
In this position, you will:
- Work closely with police officers to conduct outreach activities for the residents of Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park; especially refugees, immigrants, and community residents of various cultural backgrounds.
- Collaborate with police officers to evaluate current community needs.
- Identify additional research and training needs for police officers on community issues.
- Develop surveys, collect and interpret cultural and organizational data.
- Lead and facilitate community meetings.
- Present information at roll call and department trainings for the police officers and the community.
- Report on community events, contribute to articles for local community newspapers and social media outlets.
- Lead a multi-cultural advisory committee that includes recruitment and retention of its members.
Need to have:
- One of the following:
- Master's degree or higher in business administration, public administration, research methods, behavioral/social science, urban/city planning, and/or a field appropriate to the area of specialization.
- Bachelor's degree in one of the fields listed above and one year or more of relevant experience including experience in project management.
Nice to have:
- Working with individuals from different cultural and/or ethnic groups to bridge gaps and increase capacity.
- Recruiting and facilitating a multi-cultural advisory committee.
- Working or volunteering in a police department or correctional setting.
- Working knowledge of the Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park communities.
- Ability to recognize and respect cultural differences and provide culturally appropriate services.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to:
- Build and nurture collaborative relationships with a variety of customers/partners, both internal and external.
- Successfully manage multiple priorities and projects.
- Work independently.
About the department:
Human Services delivers a variety of services to individuals or families that assist with basic needs or encourage client change around specific objectives. We work with individuals as well as systems and communities in order to develop policy and advocate for the people we serve. The people we serve and our communities are connected. By helping one, we help the other.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting will remain open until filled and may be used to fill current and future vacancies.
This position is internally classified as a Planning Analyst, Senior.
Click here to view the job classification specification for the Planning Analyst, Senior.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
Final candidates may be required to complete a drug test and/or background check.