Food Service Worker - County Home School
OPENING DATE: 05/20/20
CLOSING DATE: 05/27/20 11:59 PM Central Time
JOB TYPE: Full-time
LOCATION: Minnetonka, MN, Minnesota
DEPARTMENT: Community Corrections and Rehabilitation
Join the Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation's (DOCCR) food services team at the County Home School (CHS) as a Food Service Worker! You will have the opportunity to expand your food services knowledge and experience, and make a difference in the community by being part of a department with a mission to promote community safety, community restoration, and reduce the risk of re-offense.
Location and hours:
This position is located at the Hennepin County Home School at 14300 County Road 62, Minnetonka, MN 55345. There is no public transportation to this location.
Work hours will be Monday through Friday, and vary from 7 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. This position will work occasional weekends and evenings.
About the position type:
This position is full-time, benefit earning.
In this position, you will:
- Receive delivery and fill orders for campus of prepared food and confirm that the correct quantity and food items have been delivered; identify sub-standard products; communicate special dietary needs.
- Ensure that sanitation and safety standards are observed as required by Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point and ServSafe; monitor inventory levels; determine level of food production, clean workstation, immediate area, dining area, and tables.
- Instruct and supervise residents in operations of required duties of the work program; manage problems and resolve conflicts between residents.
- Transport food from the Adult Corrections Facility to the Juvenile Detention Center and the CHS using the delivery van.
- Maintain the stock room.
Need to have:
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- A valid driver's license and the ability to obtain a Hennepin County driver's permit.
- ServSafe Certification or the ability to acquire certification within six months of hire.
- Ability to:
- Stand for extended periods of time.
- Lift and carry up to 40 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Work alongside residents/inmates.
Nice to have:
- Six months or more of previous food service experience that includes food preparation and set up in a prison, correctional facility, detention center, hospital, or other setting where individuals are confined for long periods of time.
- Basic knowledge and skill in using a computer to access and enter data.
- Ability to:
- Operate industrial kitchen appliances and food service equipment.
- Manage problems and resolve conflicts between residents using tact and diplomacy.
- Work in a team setting with both professional staff and residents.
- Work effectively with an increasingly diverse client population.
About the department:
The Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation's mission is to promote community safety, community restoration, and reduce the risk of re-offense. The department runs institutions, a treatment center, adult and juvenile probation, supervised release, provides mediation in parenting custody disputes, and administers alternative sentencing programs. It is the largest community corrections organization in Minnesota. On any given day, Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation employees collaborate with their criminal justice partners, dozens of community-based organizations, and a dedicated group of volunteers and interns, to supervise and deliver sustainable correctional services to approximately 22,000 adult and juvenile clients. The department's strategic goals for 2019 and 2020 are the following:
- Reduce racial disparities within our practices.
- Sustain foundational evidence-based practices and expand upon them to address clients' overall well-being.
- Build equity into our workforce and support workforce needs.
- Increase the community's input and influence in our practices.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/employees.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill future full-time, part-time, and limited duration vacancies.
This position is internally classified as a Food Service Worker.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
Under facility licensing requirements, positions at the County Home School and/or Juvenile Detention Center are required to undergo a Department of Human Services Background Study (MS 245C.13). Convictions for certain crimes will have an effect on your ability to be hired according to the disqualification schedule listed in Minnesota Statute 245C.15. Individuals convicted for any level of Criminal Sexual Conduct are disqualified from being hired into any position within the DOCCR under the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA). Other past involvement with the criminal court system will not automatically disqualify you from working at the DOCCR; individual circumstances are reviewed and evaluated confidentially. If you do not know your exact conviction information, you can refer to your sentencing order or contact the county where you were convicted.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Job offer will be contingent on passing a drug test, employment history/reference check, criminal background check including fingerprinting, and driver's license check prior to employment.