High School Principal
Watervliet Public Schools is seeking an outstanding instructional leader to be the next principal at
Watervliet High School. The City of Watervliet is located in southwest Michigan, approximately 15
miles east of the St. Joseph/Benton Harbor metropolitan area, in Berrien County and 35 miles west
of Kalamazoo, MI. The school district serves approximately 1,500 PreK-12 students with grades
9-12 high school enrollment of approximately 440.
Watervliet High School has developed a tradition of earning awards for strong academic
performance that exceeds statistical expectations. In 2015, WHS was named Academic State
Champion s by Bridge Magazine. In 2018, WHS earned the prestigious America’s Best High Schools designation by U.S. News and World Reports. The district also has long-standing, successful traditions in athletics and the arts.
Watervliet Public Schools is developing a new Strategic Plan for the district during the 2019-20
school year. The new high school principal will have an outstanding opportunity to work with a
professional and collaborative staff to develop an innovative, future-focused, college and career ready culture that leads the region in developing our students.
● M.A. Degree in Education with an emphasis in Educational Leadership
● Experience in education, with a minimum of 5 years of teaching; former administrative
experience is preferred
● Meets certification requirements for Building-Level Leadership, as defined by the Michigan
Department of Education, or through a reciprocity agreement
Preferred Personal and Professional Competencies
● A history of demonstrated quantifiable and objective student performance gains.
● Proven ability as an effective instructional leader
● Personally ambitious, and growth-oriented and develops a growth-mindset in others
● A results-driven educational leader with experience in, and commitment to standardsbased
teaching and learning and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional
● A highly-visible and approachable leader with excellent communication skills within a
diverse community of teachers, parents, students, and community stakeholders
● High level of personal and professional integrity
● Proficient in the use of technology; including student information systems, financial
software, assessment systems, and data warehouses
Major Job Responsibilities
The major job responsibilities are articulated in the 2020 Watervliet High School Principal Profile (
http://bit.ly/2MhcEdd ) as attached to this posting.
To be considered as a candidate, please apply online at Hire Enterprise - Berrien County Schools
Consortium at https://ats4.searchsoft.net/ats/app_login?COMPANY_ID=JA000561 . Click on
"Administrative" link under the Available Jobs heading.
Include a letter of application/resume, three letters of reference and a copy of your transcripts,
and or credentials.