Operations Technician I - Mankato Energy Center
Do you want to have an essential role supporting the energy infrastructure that provides power to millions of homes and businesses? Do you want to work for a company that is committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship? Consider a job at one of Xcel Energy’s power plants, and help us keep the lights on.
This position provides operational and maintenance functions to ensure safe, compliant operation of the plant and it’s equipment.. Employee will participate in the plant maintenance program as a system owner documenting maintenance records in electronic work management system. Must be self-starter, capable of working with minimal supervision. Position performs both plant operations and maintenance including but not limited to:
- Monitoring, troubleshooting, maintaining and repairing the plant’s electrical, instrumentation and mechanical power plant systems as assigned. Capable of performing rigging equipment inspections, rigging loads associated with maintenance activities including use of plant installed cranes, jibs or similar. Shall be capable of verifying absence of voltage on all systems (DC through 125V and AC through 345kV) utilizing appropriate meters or non-contact detectors.
- Operate plant in a manner compliant with regulatory requirements, plant procedures and company policy. Owner of site LOTO process and assists others with LOTO as needed. Must be able to learn and independently operate a combined cycle plant and communicate effectively.
- This multi-crafted position is responsible to perform various other duties including but not limited to: system assignments, project management, and participate in initiatives related to system/equip under their care and ownership. Including specification and initiations of purchase requisitions.
- Required to work alongside, assist or perform minor oversight of other work groups conducting site maintenance including but not limited to contractors, vendors or similar as needed during overhauls or equipment maintenance.
- Operate various mobile equipment including but not limited to: forklifts, skid steers, telehandlers, manlifts, or similar equipment.
- HS Graduate or Equivalent required.
- Strong mechanical and electric aptitude with demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and repair both electrical and mechanical equipment required.
- Ability to perform physically demanding activities (i.e. climbing stairs, lifting heavy equipment) while working safely.
- Strong computer skills preferred.
- Required to acquire 2nd Class A boiler license within 18 months of employment, 1st Class A license within 3 years of employment and Chief A Boiler license within 5 years of employment.
Required to master Op Tech Level I Requirements within 1 year of employment:
- Verify absence of voltage on all all DC systems through 125V and all AC systems up to 345KV utilizing a digital multimeter or non-contact voltage detector depending on application.
- Safely ground equipment as needed for conduct of work through 345kV.
- Ensure zero state of equipment when applying LOTO and/or performing maintenance. Zero state is a point at which the equipment has been safety isolated from any chances of re-energization or release of internal contained energy or other hazard.
- Conduct standard Preventative Maintenance on electrical and mechanical equipment on site.
- Shop and hand tool use.
- 2-Year College/Technical Degree/Navy operations experience.
- Previous power plant experience is preferred.
- Experience in combined cycle operations experience.
- Experience with industrial troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Experience in industrial electrical/mechanical/I&C or certified training/license.
- Possess 1-A or Chief-A boiler license.