Job Class: Accounting Technician
Working Title: Payroll Technician
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 10/01/2019
Closing Date: 10/21/2019
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Mn Management & Budget / Mn Mgmt & Budget - AFSCME
Division/Unit: Personnel/Payroll / Fiscal Services
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
Days of Work: Mon - Fri
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $18.58 - $26.27/hourly; $38,795 - $54,851/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 207 - Technical/AFSCME
Work Area: (Required for AFSCME)
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
This position is responsible for providing payroll processing services for Minnesota Management and Budget (MMB). The incumbent will perform these functions in accordance with all requirements set forth in state policies and procedures, and bargaining unit agreements and plans. In addition, the position performs all of MMB’s accounts payable functions.
This position is responsible for the following:
- Reviewing, analyzing, and validating employee timesheets and resolving discrepancies;
- Calculating and processing payroll adjustments;
- Researching, analyzing, and compiling relevant payroll reports;
- Ensuring business expense reimbursements are accurately documented and processed in a timely manner;
- Performing a three-way match of purchase orders, packing slips, and invoices;
- Ensuring invoices have proper approval; and
- Working with appropriate staff and vendors to resolve invoicing discrepancies.
- Associate Degree in Accounting, Business Management, Finance or closely related field; and one (1) year of experience with payroll administration.
- Two (2) years of experience with payroll administration.
Experience must include:
- Familiarity with and experience applying the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) in regard to payroll compliance;
- Accounting skills sufficient to understand and follow State of Minnesota policies and procedures, and applicable bargaining unit agreements/plans, related to payroll entry and processing;
- Customer service skills (written and verbal) sufficient to handle customers' inquiries in a clear, concise, positive and proactive manner;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information;
- English language skills sufficient to speak, read, understand, and respond to a variety of written and spoken communications, such as customers’ questions, requisitions, purchase orders, detailed instructions and procedures, inventory records, and distribution lists;
- Mathematics skills sufficient to process account reconciliation´s and tabulate data;
- Data entry skills sufficient to compile, sort, and verify data accuracy before entering it, and input data accurately;
- Strong attention to detail and high degree of accuracy working with numbers;
- Intermediate skills in using word processing, spreadsheet, and other software applications, such as Microsoft Office products- Word and Excel, to prepare reports, invoices, financial statements, letters, memos.
- Experience in PeopleSoft payroll system or similar payroll system including basic knowledge of the payroll transactions and labor distribution functions.
- Experience in SEMA4 payroll system.
- Experience in SWIFT accounting system or similar PeopleSoft accounting system including basic knowledge of accounts payable functions.
- Basic understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience in applying payroll laws, regulations, policies, and procedures such as Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), etc.
Minnesota Management and Budget will conduct reference checks to verify job-related credentials and a criminal background check prior to appointment.
Why Work For Us
The State of Minnesota also has over 100 state agencies, so the possibilities of serving our great state through a multitude of programs and roles are endless! The State of Minnesota also has our own Enterprise Talent Development department to keep your skills and knowledge sharp. You may also qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, which forgives the remaining balance of your student loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments!
What’s also great about this job is the competitive wage and comprehensive benefits package including low cost/high value medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, retirement plan, health care savings plan, generous vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, and numerous tax-deferred benefit options (e.g., 457B investment plan, long and short-term disability plans, etc.). Benefits offered are:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Parental leave
- Affordable dependent care
- Pension and retirement saving plan
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Long and short term disability insurance
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Annie Mueller at email@example.com.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance you need.