Child and Youth Program Assistant
Child and Youth Program Assistant
United Community Corporation - Newark, NJ
Up to $15 an hour - Part-time
United Community Corporation has openings for part-time YOUTH WORKER in the Youth and Family Services Division Afterschool Program at West Side Park Community Center in Newark NJ. This position is hourly for 15-20 hours per week, Monday through Friday from 3 - 6pm. The program also offers a summer program component which includes both day and sleep away camp programming. If you have any hesitations or reservations about attending this camping trip please do not apply for this position.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Counselors will be responsible for providing lesson plans as well as assisting students with homework and any academic support.
• Counselors will be required to implement one club for the after school program.
• Leader plans, implement and document successful educational, recreation, youth leadership, community service and arts activities with school-aged children.
• Adhere to policies and procedures in a pro-active manner, making the safety and care of children your primary focus.
• Build a positive relationship with each after-school participants, their family and other community. Actively engage with children at all times with the goal of fostering the positive development of each child and the group.
• Conduct yourself as a professional and representative of the agency with parents, children and anyone else with whom you come into contact in your role.
• Effectively manage assigned group. Maintain and enforce progressive discipline policy.
• Contribute to the cohesive and effective functioning of the staff team in your assigned group and the program.
• Assist in enrollment, recording and submitting daily attendance records, and any other required documents to Director.
• Inspect on a daily basis all facilities, equipment, and supplies and be sure all are accounted for and put away at the end of each day.
• Inspect classroom at the beginning of each session and at the end of each session and provide Supervisors with a daily room check in log.
• Actively participate in all aspects of staff or member development, including weekly supervision, weekly team meetings, pre-service training, and an additional at least 15 hours of training during the school year.
Other assignments, as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
2-4 years of College preferred.
2 year experience working with children in a child care or education setting.
Availability 2:00 to 6:00 Monday to Friday.
5 years of Clean Driver's License a plus.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $0.00 to $15.00 /hour
Youth STEAM instruction: 3 years (Preferred)
Youth dance performance: 2 years (Preferred)
Youth development: 3 years (Preferred)
Classroom management: 3 years (Required)
Activity implementation: 3 years (Required)
In school academic: 4 years (Preferred)
Youth computer coding instruction: 4 years (Preferred)
Summer (Day/Sleep) away Camp: 3 years (Required)
Children in afterschool: 4 years (Required)
Youth recreational: 4 years (Required)
Childcare: 4 years (Required)
Youth Arts program: 4 years (Preferred
Curriculum Development: 3 years (Required)
Education: High school or equivalent (Required)
Location: Newark, NJ (Required)
License: Driver's License (Preferred)
CPR/First Aid (Preferred)
Shifts: Mid-Day (Required)
Hours per Week: 11-20 (Required)