Corrections Counselor - Juvenile - AJC (Part-Time, Open)
The salary range reflected above is the normal hiring range for 2019. The full salary range, including longevity pay, is $19.79 - $29.43 per hour.
Routine correctional work supervising residents detained at the Arrowhead Juvenile Center (AJC).An employee in this class provides counseling and correctional services for minors detained at AJC. Duties include providing direct care and supervising residents; assisting residents achieve goals, housekeeping and supervising meals; performing security checks; providing transportation. The work is performed under the direction of assigned supervisory staff.These work environment factors are general in nature and may vary depending on the specific position being filled. CONSTANT: Balance; coordination; smell; stand; walk; hearing; vision; work with others; clients with behavioral challenges; and shift work. OCCASIONAL: Lift and carry up to 50 pounds; push/pull up to 50 pounds; crouch/squat; grasp/handle; kneel; reach above shoulder; rotate trunk; sit; and stoop/bend. RARE: Crawl.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Pass/Fail):
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- Twenty-one (21) years of age or older OR between eighteen (18) years of age and twenty-one (21) years of age AND enrolled or completed course work in a postsecondary education program to pursue a degree in a behavioral science, according to Minnesota Statute 2960.0240.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in psychology, sociology, criminal justice, criminology or corrections.
- Two (2) years full-time paid verifiable experience in a human services field.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING (SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE - 100% of the scoring process):
Points will be awarded for job-related experience and education exceeding the minimum qualifications. Only experience occurring during the ten most recent years will be used in determining this rating. Experience beyond ten years may be included on the application for purposes of meeting minimum qualifications or informing the hiring authority of your complete employment history.
Please Note: When answering the supplemental questions on the website, the webpage will time out after 30 minutes. It's highly recommended you draft your answers in a Word document and copy/paste the answers into the application when you're finished writing. Failure to answer all of the questions on the "Supplemental Questions" page within 30 minutes will result in the deletion of your answers by the application system.
The essential functions for this position are listed under the "ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK" on the specification, available in the Human Resources Department or online at www.stlouiscountymn.gov/jobdescriptions.
If you are eligible to apply for Veterans Preference, please attach to your application a copy of document(s) listed for the option that applies to you:
- Veteran: DD214 noting character of service
- Disabled Veteran: DD214 & compensable disability award letter issued within the last 6 months.
- Spouse of Disabled Veteran: DD214 & compensable disability award letter issued within the last 6 months & marriage certificate. (Eligible only if Veteran is unable to qualify because of the disability.)
- Spouse of Deceased Veteran: DD214, Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate.
Please refer to Minnesota Statute 197.455 for additional requirements. Click Here.
Qualified applicants must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Applicants selected must meet the physical requirements for the position.
Applicants selected for appointment must take and pass a drug test.
Applicants selected for appointment to a position with Arrowhead Regional Corrections are subject to a background investigation.
EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION:
All new employees must submit documentation verifying identity and employment eligibility within three days of their first day of employment.
Appointees to the position must successfully complete at least a six month probationary period prior to being certified for permanent employment.
Arrowhead Regional Corrections is an equal opportunity and veteran-friendly employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, age, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, disability, genetic information, veteran status or activity in a local Human Rights Commission or any other characteristic protected by law.