The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has a great opportunity for an experienced real estate professional. The Real Estate Services office in Shoreline is seeking a Property & Acquisition Specialist to join their dynamic team to assist the title department and acquisition team by obtaining all necessary title reports and recorded documents, performing complex title examination including extensive title clearing, preparation of documents to clear encumbrances, and preparation of closing documents necessary to close complex real estate transactions in accordance with industry standards and in compliance with State law. Additionally, you will perform property research and serve as a resource for the project engineers and other support groups.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Order and review title reports and updates from title companies and provide them to the relevant offices.
- Act as a liaison between WSDOT and Title Company to investigate and resolve title questions and concerns.
- Perform extensive title clearing, requiring the ability to decipher complex legal descriptions and prepare title clearing paperwork and/or conveyance documents that may be necessary to clear title and complete the transaction.
- Negotiate the purchase of all types of property.
- Work with acquisition agents/negotiators to gather information necessary to close eminent domain acquisitions of real property.
- Draft legal descriptions from right of way plans; prepare conveyance documents, agreements and real property vouchers; and conduct title searches.
- Other work as required.
Note: This position includes an approved in-training plan; therefore, it may be filled at the Property & Acquisition Specialist 2 or 3 level.
Property & Acquisition Specialist 2 ($47,568-$63,970)
- At least one (1) year experience in real estate activities such as acquisition, sales, leasing, appraisal, title examination, escrow closing, negotiations, property management, leasing or buying commercial real estate, or appraising property for fair market value.
- One (1) year experience as a Property and Acquisition Specialist 1.
Property & Acquisition Specialist 3 ($51,240-$75,781)
- Minimum of (2) years of experience in real estate activities such as acquisition, sales, leasing, appraisal, title examination, escrow closing, negotiations, property management, leasing or buying commercial real estate, or appraising property for fair market value.
- One (1) year experience as a Property and Acquisition Specialist 2.
In addition to the qualifications above, an ideal candidate for this position will also have:
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective relationships with diverse populations, including management, the public, government officials, technical staff, and other public agencies.
- Ability to research public records to locate property information and maps.
- Operate computers, digital cameras, scanners, phones, photocopiers/printers, calculators, and other office equipment.
- Ability to comprehend and interpret complex legal documents.
- Knowledge and understanding of the statutory authorities such as RCW's, WAC's, CFR's.
- Ability to anticipate problems and develop contingency plans.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Valid driver's license.
- Lift and move boxes, files, and office materials up to 25lbs.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree in business, public administration, real estate, economics, accounting, or a related field. Additional experience in real estate related fields may be substituted for educational requirement.
- Notary Public Certification is preferred,
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to:
- Answer the supplemental questions.
- Attach a cover letter and resume.
Applications without a cover letter may not be considered.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Josefina Mutascu at MutascJ@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-NWR-12899.