STUDENT TRAINEE (COMPLIANCE/INVESTIGATION)
Please only apply for this position at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/517793500 . Applications will not be accepted on Handshake.
This position is located in the Consumer Product Safety Commission, Office of Import Surveillance. The Office is responsible for identifying and screening foreign made products being imported into the U. S. to insure they meet mandatory safety standards and regulations, educating industry regarding mandatory standards and certain safety-related voluntary standards, and following up with importers and distributors to determine whether a product recall is warranted.
The duty station will be located in Los Angeles.
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Receives and processes incoming customs entry documents. Reviews paperwork for completeness. Coordinates and directs workflow to Compliance Investigators. Maintains data quality for databases used by Compliance Investigators and other Federal Agencies.
- Assists Compliance Investigators in screening of products to determine compliance with standards. Processes samples and conducts further research of firm's records to determine extent of interstate commerce and specific distribution.
- Assists Compliance Investigators in determining compliance with CPSC regulations, laws, and product standards and identifies potential, substantial and imminent violations and hazards. Collects evidence to support noncompliance with applicable Federal law.
- Assists Compliance Investigators as needed with the conducting of sample collections, informed compliance inspections, limited inspections, and establishment inspections.
- Conducts telephone interviews of responsible management personnel, seeking needed information, and documents, related to investigations.
- Requests records and advises firm of its responsibility under Commission regulations and laws.
- Prepares concise, factual reports reflecting significant findings and describing information collected.
- Gathers pertinent information through application of effective investigative telephone interviewing and fact-finding techniques. This requires the incumbent to exercise mature judgment and poise when dealing with uncooperative or hostile parties.
Please refer to the link https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/517793500 for more information.