Full Time Office Manager
Position Summary: The Office Manager leads administrative functions to ensure operations are efficient and responsive to the needs of the organization and also that Global Minnesota’s interaction with the public is positive and fits the mission of the organization. The position is comprised of several main areas of responsibility including office administration, facility management, social media, program outreach (program registration, membership and event promotion, materials order processing), intern program coordination, and Board of Directors support.
Organization Summary: Global Minnesota is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, member-supported organization advancing international understanding and engagement. We offer globally-focused opportunities for all ages in programs that take place in homes, classrooms, workplaces, and communities across the state. With a staff of 16 and a $1.5 million budget, Global Minnesota is proud to bring Minnesota increased global engagement and recognition. For more information, see our website at www.globalminnesota.org.
Nationally, Global Minnesota is a leading member of the World Affairs Councils of America; a member of Global Ties U.S., the nonprofit arm of the U.S. State Department’s International Visitor Leadership Program; and an affiliate of the Foreign Policy Association.
Environment: Global Minnesota staff work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and need to be efficient, flexible, professional, dependable problem solvers, who can work well independently and as part of a team. Self-starters with well-developed communication and interpersonal skills and an interest in working effectively with multiple constituencies are especially effective.
Reports to: Administrative Director
- Opens the office promptly by 9 AM and closes it at 5 PM. Ensures front desk coverage for all public hours (9AM-5PM); welcomes visitors and handles guest needs.
- Handles incoming calls and emails; provides information and referrals; takes messages.
- Handles routine correspondence and other requests for information in consultation with the Administrative Director.
- Opens and distributes mail. Coordinates organizational calendars for events, site meetings, vacations, etc. Coordinates staff events and meetings.
- Manages organizational supply needs based on budget and avoiding shortages.
- Provides accounting assistance including tracking incoming funds on cash receipts journal, managing petty cash, etc.
- Coordinates special projects as needed by executive team, including creating PowerPoints and reports.
- Establishes and manages central systems for organizational files, procedures/policies, facility and non-computer equipment maintenance; staff recruitment and hiring.
- Evaluates existing policies and procedures and recommending changes to Administrative Director.
- Makes recommendations to improve administrative services and reduce costs.
- Proactively assesses administrative needs; solves problems as they arise; leads or assists with organization-wide projects such as mailings, volunteer projects, etc.
Board of Directors Support:
- Provides support on all aspects related to the board of directors: prepares annual materials (meeting schedules, contact lists, letterhead), coordinates meetings and handouts (logistics, RSVPs, food, etc.); drafts board emails and correspondence; maintains board contact information; assists with researching potential board candidates, etc.
- Attends full board meetings, keeps minutes and manages follow up.
- Recruits, interviews, hires and orients 3-6 interns per semester in consultation with the Administrative Director.
- Manages intern data, evaluation process, and future engagement opportunities for interns.
- Assists with and stays up to date on Global Minnesota programs, fundraising, and marketing
- Works in partnership with Global Minnesota program and database staff to process registrations, book orders and invoicing.
- Promotes Global Minnesota membership, event attendance; attends and assists at some events
- May also assist with Global Minnesota’s social media in collaboration with the Communications Manager, including development of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn group content, monitoring of sites, recommending responses.
- Manages Global Minnesota’s facility - ensures all public spaces are clean and welcoming; coordinates cleaning/University services; arranges for keys, security codes, U cards; in conjunction with the Administrative Director, assists staff with facility needs.
- Manages the organization’s equipment including fax, copier and printers; trains staff and volunteers, manages contracts, evaluates needs, orders repairs/maintenance, etc.
- Assesses building regularly for needed repairs, and maintenance; manages on and off site storage; manages Global Minnesota’s onsite archives.
- Oversees security system and safety/emergency procedures and training in conjunction with the Administrative Director; maintains Global Minnesota’s safe work environment.
Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree and two years of experience in front office administration and management.
- Proactive and deadline driven, while having a positive, welcoming attitude and outstanding internal/external customer service skills, including handling difficult issues with sensitivity. Professional manner and ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with a variety of people from many cultures and diverse backgrounds.
- Must be punctual and dependable!
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills and an ability to set up and manage systems; experience prioritizing among simultaneous projects and working with interruptions. Efficient and accurate in completing tasks which require attention to detail, and able to anticipate and meet deadlines while working under pressure of multiple and changing priorities.
- Excellent computer skills, especially Microsoft Office.
- Strong written communication, including grammar and proofing skills.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Requires interest and commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Preferred skills: experience with social media, familiarity with Raisers Edge database, experience in hiring and supervising
- Access to a car preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to walk up stairs; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; and lift up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.