Network Operations Manager
Berkeley Lab’s Information Technology (IT) Division has an opening for a Network Operations Manager. This position will lead LBNL’s Campus Networking Group and provide high-speed wired and wireless networking to over 20,000 endpoints supporting the scientific and operational staff of the laboratory.
What You Will Do:
- Provide leadership and technical direction for development and technical planning for all network services at the Lab.
- Create and develop a vision and strategy for the group by working with the Laboratory Network Security Manager and Infrastructure Services Department Head.
- Provide expertise and consulting for the scientific and operational groups related to large scientific traffic flows, Science DMZ installations, networked computer systems, and related technologies.
- Collaborate with the Laboratory Network Security Manager, Berkeley Lab Network and Computer Science Research Groups, and other key stakeholders to develop, implement, improve upon, and maintain network security measures.
- Oversee all technical projects assigned to LBL.net group and lead some cross-group projects.
- Establish project schedules and budget estimates for meeting deadlines and deliverables.
- Act as liaison with network services providers including ESnet and CENIC.
- Provide effective line management to Computer Systems Engineers, student employees and contractors in the Networking Group by hiring excellent staff and conducting performance management.
- Assure staff is meeting goals, provide both positive and constructive feedback to staff and keep them motivated.
- Ensure all staff members have career development goals.
- Maintain a work environment that embraces diversity, fosters creativity and innovation, and ensures that DOE and Laboratory rules and policies are observed.
- Represent Berkeley Lab to and engage with the Broader DOE and Research and Education networking communities.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business or related field, and progressively complex and current applicable systems support and engineering experience, plus a minimum of 3 years of experience in a managerial role of complex computer systems or networking unit or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience managing the network needs of research organizations, or other experience supporting high technology, diverse, and demanding technical environments.
- Extensive experience in project management and execution, including project budget and resource allocation to meet both normal operational and specific project goals.
- Extensive experience providing leadership and supervision to professional, technical, production, and administrative staff to meet organizational objectives and commitments.
- Outstanding communication skills with well-developed experience presenting complex issues in both technical and non-technical formats.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service and exceed customer expectations.
- Extensive working and advanced knowledge of some or all of the following:
- Network topologies and services, both wired and wireless.
- The needs associated with scientific data and high-performance computing.
- Consumer/business VOIP technologies.
- Security that supports high performance research and administrative support networks.
What We Prefer:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field or equivalent additional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop service agreements and financial models for services.
- Familiarity with DOE Office of Science research programs and/or Research and Education networking communities in the US or abroad.