Assistant Director, Career Development & Pre-Law Advising
The Assistant Director, Career Development & Pre-Law Advising is responsible for the counseling and coaching of Villanova students and alumni on career decisions and job search strategies. The successful candidate will lead the Career Center’s services and programs designed to support students pursuing law school and other graduate study, serve as the pre-law advisor for the university, plan and execute customized university-wide career events in collaboration with faculty & staff across the university, and develop and manage relationships with the graduate schools’ admissions representatives and employers.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Counsel and coach students and alumni on successful strategies for job searching and obtaining admission to law school and graduate programs. Assist students and alumni in their applications for graduate programs and jobs, including guidance for writing personal statements, resumes, cover letters, and other materials. Develop and maintain strong relationships with graduate admissions professionals to provide relevant and timely advice to students and alumni on graduate and law school applications, including the development of print and web resources for the Career Center and university. Conduct recorded practice interview sessions. Present career development skill building workshops on subjects such as personal statement writing, resume writing, interviewing, utilizing social media in a job search, etc. Serve as the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) pre-law advisor at Villanova University and as an advisor to students in the Pre-Law Society.
- Administer university-wide career events (networking events, career fairs, etc.). Plan and deliver programs to meet the career development needs of students and alumni interested in pursuing law school and other graduate study in collaboration with office staff, graduate and law admissions professionals, graduate assistants, and Career Assistants (workshops, panels, and presentations). Coordinate programs and services with student organizations such as the Pre-Law Society, Pre-Law Black Students Association, and Mock Trial.
- Serve as liaison to campus partners in functions such as Student Life, Research & Fellowships, and others. Meet with academic advising professionals, internship coordinators, employers, administrators, and faculty to maintain communication and plan programs. Provide employment data, graduate school outcomes data, and student data to department chairs and administration. Represent Career Center on campus program committee, off campus consortia, and at Northeast Regional Pre-Law Advisors (NAPLA) and LSAC events.
- Perform other duties and assist with projects as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Counseling, Higher Education, Student Personnel, Human Resources, or related field.
- 2 – 5 years’ experience in university career services office, higher education, graduate school admissions, or related field.
- Understanding of student career development, law school and graduate student application processes, current employment market, electronic and published job search resources.
- Counseling skills, event coordination and programming experience, written and verbal communication skills, teamwork and relationship management skills.
- Experienced in Microsoft Office and social media.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Knowledge of employment and career services management software preferred (the Villanova University Career Center uses Handshake).