Communications Consultant 2
The Opportunity: The Multimodal Planning Division of the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) in Olympia is currently seeking a part-time (80%) project, Communications Consultant 2 to assist the Communications and Engagement Planner. The Communications Consultant will support community engagement and communications activities including writing, editing, performing layout, copy-editing and advising on content. They will also assist with communications and outreach plans, help with logistics and scheduling for meetings, prepare agendas, and assist with development of community engagement materials and community engagement training. The position is the lead web technician for the division and corresponds with other offices to perform research, provide information and solicit feedback. This project position is funded through June 30, 2019.
The successful candidate must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and be able to work under deadlines with accuracy under rapidly changing conditions. This individual must establish positive and productive working relationships with diverse agency colleagues and other WSDOT departments and have the ability to translate complex concepts into information easily understood by the public.
At WSDOT, we honor diversity in the workplace and support one another with respect and trust. If you would like to join our team-oriented environment and enjoy a continuously changing environment, and a great deal of career stability and growth, definitely consider a career opportunity with WSDOT.
This position will perform the following work:
- Write, edit, layout, copy-edit and advise on content of documents such as communications plans, newsletters, one-pagers, folios, web pages and promotional materials for audiences including agency staff, legislators, and the general public.
- Review and correct proofs to ensure accuracy, clarity and consistency.
- Schedule meetings, prepare agendas and support development of deliverables.
- Ensure customers' needs are met by coordinating between customers and publication and production personnel, and advising on matters such as readability, grammar, clarity and format.
An ideal candidate will have the following:
- A Bachelor's degree in English, communications, journalism, technical writing or related field, or two years of experience in writing and editing.
- Working knowledge and skill in Adobe InDesign and Illustrator, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to develop and edit web content in Drupal and WordPress.
- Document design and formatting knowledge and experience.
Note: This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
How to Apply: Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Erik Lunke at 360-705-7747 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-HQ-0P348.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call or email the recruiter.